Thursday 6 January 2011

Gray's Anatomy

Skeletal Leotard Front (made December 2010)

My final garment is based on the human skeleton, specifically the ribcage. The theme came from elements of the textile artist Caroline Broadsheet, who inspired the loose pleats that form the appearance of a ribcage on the torso front. The garment is made from a skirt, baggy blouse and a dress top. I made the garment a leotard because wanted to keep the silhouette the basic human form. The loose sleeves form the shape of a forearm bone in the silhouette and the ruffles add texture as well as the appearance of bones down the hips and the pattern on the skirt fabric creates a rib-like appearance down the back of the garment.
Skeletal Leotard Front (made December 2010)


I am happy with the overall design of the garment, however, I feel the construction could be improved as I found making it on the mannequin difficult as it was the first time I’ve done this. I should have also put facings around the neckline and leg holes and used a longer zip so that the waistline would fit over the hips.

No comments:

Post a Comment