Monday 4 October 2010

Fashion, Art and Culture Brainstorm

Two Mondays ago, I was given the brief for the Fashion, Art and Culture module. It is entitled ‘Then is Now’, and basically I’ve got to research three different themes, the first of which was part of my summer project, for which I chose 1930s Hollywood, which I have collected a lot of imagery for from online and in books. The last two themes were to be chosen from one of our lectures on fashion history between 1850 and now. We then have to collate there research of our three themes and choose the strongest one to take forward into ideas sheets and on to the manufacture of an artefact, which could be a 3D canvas or a bag for exhibition. My second theme is Paco Rabanne and I haven’t chosen my third yet because I cannot decide, I like the idea of ‘Make Do and Mend’, but I also like Gareth Pugh’s more extravagant work, Thierry Mugler’s structural creations and Hussein Chalayan’s conceptual work, especially his plastic Bubble Dress worn by Lady Gaga. 

I already have an idea of what I could do with the Paco Rabanne theme. As he is famous for the use of unconventional materials, including metals, in his work to create metal disc dresses, I was thinking that I could use empty drinks cans to create my artefact. I could use the inside of the cans to get a reflective silver surface, or I could try using the front sides of the cans to convey a message of recycling as that is an important aspect of modern day society.

No comments:

Post a Comment